The IAVS Global Sponsorship Committee (GSC) was created to support vegetation scientists from countries where limited funding precludes membership in IAVS and access to IAVS journals (Journal of Vegetation Science, Applied Vegetation Science) is not available. In addition, funds are available to support participation in an annual meeting of IAVS and to offset the cost of including color illustrations in IAVS journals. Income to the Fund derives from the IAVS Publisher (currently Wiley Blackwell), and other IAVS revenues directed to the Fund by the Council. IAVS is grateful for any donations to the Global Fund. You may make an annual contribution when you complete your membership renewal form, or you may send a contribution directly at any time here.
1. Waiver of the IAVS membership fee (and possible journal subscription)
Individuals may apply to the Global Sponsorship Committee for waiver of the IAVS membership fee. Vegetation scientists with low personal income can apply for this free membership. Eligibility is based on average per-capita income (purchasing parity = PPP) in the respective country in the respective year and the personal situation.
- 1. All persons in countries with per-capita income in the respective year below 10,000 US$ PPP. No approval of GSC needed. As of 2015, these countries are:
Central African Republic
Congo, Dem. Rep.
Egypt, Arab Rep.
Micronesia, Fed. Sts.
Papua New Guinea
Sao Tome and Principe
Syrian Arab Republic
- 2. Students, PhD students, unemployed and retired scientists in countries with per-capita income in the respective year between 10,000 and 25,000 US$ PPP. No approval of GSC needed. As of 2015, these countries are:
Antigua and Barbuda
Bosnia and Herzegovina
St. Kitts and Nevis
St. Vincent and the Grenadines
- 3. Other persons upon specific application with detailed explanation why they personally would not be able to pay for membership or subscription. Individual decision by GSC required.
Members supported by the GSC have all the rights and privileges of other full members.
»If you wish to apply, please click here.
2. Participation in IAVS meetings
Members may apply for financial support to participate in an annual meeting of IAVS. These funds are very limited and the Global Sponsorship Committee will work with the local organizing Committee to set criteria and administer the application process. Application information will be available on the website established for the particular meeting.
Criteria of admission
Only IAVS members who give a presentation (poster or preferably oral) are eligible for grants. If you are not a member yet, you can join at the IAVS Membership Page (reduced and free membership is available for persons with financial constraints).
3. Support for publication in JVS/AVS
Members who have had a manuscript accepted for publication in Journal of Vegetation Science or Applied Vegetation Science wherein inclusion of color figures would greatly improve the impact of the paper may apply to the Global Sponsorship Committee for a grant to cover the fees for the color figures.Applications may be submitted at any time.
Additional information may be obtained from the Chair of the Global Sponsorship Committee, Dr. Alessandra Fidelis (email@example.com).